There’s a fairly simple idea that pops into my head just about everyday I’m sitting in my cube: How can I add more happiness to my day at work?
According to the Organization for Economic Development and Cooperation, the average American spends 1,790 working annually. When you consider that’s roughly 30 percent of the time you’ll be awake each year, I hope it becomes clear you should strive to be happy while you’re on the job. You’ll eventually spend a giant chunk of your life working; why not improve those times as much as possible? Why save happiness for when you leave the office?
Take action and #WorkHappier
Much like a job search, much like your career development, you must be active in your pursuit of happiness. You can’t just sit and do nothing but hope you find happiness tomorrow, next week or next year. You have to go after it.
That’s where the idea of #WorkHappier comes in. When the going gets tough at the office, how do you remain positive? When things become stale, how do you lift up your spirits and those of your co-workers?
The actions you take to add happiness to your workday don’t have to be complicated. They can be as easy as saying thank you to a co-worker who makes your job easier. Working happier can mean taking a walk when you’re out of ideas or simply need a break but don’t think the walk to the vending machine is enough. Even getting out of the office for lunch with your co-workers will help you #WorkHappier. #TheMoreYouKnow
Show us what you’ve got!
Now that you’re basically a #WorkHappier expert, we want to see how you add happiness to your days. Submit a photo on Instagram using that hashtag before Oct. 16, 2015, and you could win a GoPro Hero4 Session, a pair of Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones, and more to make your work life better.
Here’s how to get started:
2. Photograph how you add happiness to your workday.
3. Post it on Instagram, tag it #WorkHappier, and mention @CareerBuilder. You’re now entered to win!
If you were an expert before, these tips will make you a bona fide guru of working happier:
- Explore your surroundings. Try that new place for lunch even if there’s a line. Take a walk and don’t follow a route you’ve taken before.
- #TreatYoSelf. Don’t settle for snacks out of the vending machine. Reward yourself with a gourmet snack after completing a hard task… or just because.
- Take your breaks, and use your vacation days. You’re given both for a reason. Recharge when you have the opportunity to do so.
- Get more sleep. You’ll have more energy, better ideas and an improved mood when you go into the office.
- Welcome distractions from time to time. Distractions allow your mind to wander and they’ll often boost your mood. Sometimes, those will be enough to help you break through a roadblock or solve a complex problem.
Post your photos and #WorkHappier tips on Instagram before Oct. 16, 2015, and you could win a GoPro Hero4 Session, a pair of Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones, and more. Eligible participants may enter once per day, and must be legal residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older.